The area destined to become The Village of Lansingburgh was originally occupied by the Mohican Indians, later the Mohawks. The land was called Taascamatick.
In 1670 Provincial Governor Francis Lovelace granted the land seven miles north of Albany on the east side of the Hudson River to Robert Saunders. In 1683 it was sold to Johannes Wendell. The land became know as Stone Arabia. In 1763 Robert Wendell, an heir to Johannes, sold the land to Abraham Jacob Lansing (1720-1791). Abraham envisioned a new town on this site and the plan he made and carried out was responsible for the rapid growth and development of a mercantile town and river port. It was laid out in 1771 with a village green (public square), common lands, wide streets and 20-foot wide alleys. Along the river were homes of merchants with docks and warehouses. Many of these homes predate the plan and are still there. Lansingburgh developed into a river port with shipyards in operation as early as1780. The Northern Centinel the first newspaper went into print in 1787. By the time of the American Revolution, a substantial settlement had been established. Lansingburgh had its own Declaration of Independence a year before the national one on May 22, 1775. The Village of Lansingburgh was incorporated by an act of the legislature on April 5, 1790. Lansingburgh became the first incorporated village in New York State.
The Lansingburgh Academy was established in 1795. Many famous people were connected to the Academy, including Herman Melville author of Moby Dick, and Chester A. Arthur who taught there before becoming President of the United States.
The Oakwood Cemetery (1848) is in Lansingburgh on the hills that overlook the village. It is a wonderful place to see great panoramic views of the Hudson Valley. It is one of the early "landscaped" cemeteries (see Oakwood Cemetery on links page). Many famous people are buried there including "Uncle Sam" Wilson, Civil War Generals George H. Thomas (The Rock of Chickamauga) and John Ellis Wool. Lansingburgh has several other historic cemeteries with the graves of those who fought in the American Revolutionary War, The War of 1812 and the Civil War.
In 1866 the Lansingburgh Haymakers were formed later to become the New York Giants. In 1901 The Village of Lansingburgh became part of the City of Troy, but still maintains a separate school system. To this day the residents of Lansingburgh have a strong sense of place and a commitment to their community.